Sitting for too long can lead to chronic health problems. If you have a desk job or are a transit driver, you may find yourself sitting in either 5, 6, or even 8 hour stretches. Scientists have found that those who sit a lot were twice as likely to get heart disease. When you sit, major muscles relax. When your muscles are inactive they take little glucose from blood-which raising the changes of developing type 2 diabetes.
Weight gain is a result of sitting too long. Moving your muscles helps your body digest the fats and sugars that you eat. If you sit for hours at a time, digestion is not efficient.
Prolonged sitting also increases your risk of dementia, stroke, and high blood pressure. The infograph below shows 7 dangers of prolonged sitting.
Scary, isn’t it? So what can you do to stay more active during your day?
Tips To Keep you Healthy at Work:
- Use a timer– For every 50 minutes that you spend sitting, take take 10 minutes off. This is done to break up long periods of sitting. You may stand, take a walk, or stretch.
- Drink more water– This will increase the number of bathroom breaks which will get you up and out of your chair more often.
- Mobile phone calls- Either stand or take your calls while walking.
- Lunch time walk– You will have more energy !
- Sit on a stability ball– This will constantly engage your core muscles to keep from falling off the ball.
In conclusion, sitting too much is hazardous to your health! Lifestyle changes aren’t easy though. If you would like step by step guidance on how to create and sustain lasting lifestyle changes in your life, sign up for my Habit Transformation Program.